Quarterdeck | About | COs | Ships Company | Deceased | Newsletter | Association | Reunion | Vet Services | Life Aboard | Photos | Links


From Chuck Weber, your Veteran Service Officer...

Vets May Apply Online for New VA ID Card

Vets may apply online for a new VA ID card, but vets with 'bad paper' won't get one.

Honorably discharged veterans of all eras who want a new identification card from the Department of Veterans Affairs will be able to apply online by registering with the VA and uploading a photo, officials said.

A 2015 law requires the VA to issue a hard-copy photo ID to any honorably discharged veteran who applies. The card must contain the veteran's name, photo and a non-Social Security identification number, the law states.

Starting in November, veterans can register for identification cards that prove their military service. To apply for the card, veterans need to register with www.vets.gov , a process that authenticates users through the ID.me system.

Doing so requires users to upload a copy of a valid government photo ID, such as a driver's license or passport, and provide their Social Security number, among other information.

Cards won't be available to veterans with other-than-honorable discharges. "Only those veterans with honorable service will be eligible for the ID card," VA spokesman Curt Cashour said Wednesday.

The VA already offers ID cards to some veterans.  Those who receive health care from the VA or have a disability rating can get a photo ID known as a Veteran Health Identification Card. Military retirees also hold an ID card issued by the Defense Department.

Source:  Military.com (excerpted from several reports)


©1997 - 2017 by USS RICH Association, Inc. - All Rights Reserved