Quarterdeck | About | COs | Ships Company | Deceased | Newsletter | Association | Reunion | Vet Services | Life Aboard | Photos | Links


From Chuck Weber, your Veteran Service Officer...

DFAS myPay System - Get Ready for 2017 Tax Season

Tax season is a busy time. As you prepare for doing your taxes, here are some tools and resources DFAS provides to make it easier for you. The best way to prepare is to use myPay to get all of the information you need. Here are some helpful tips for using myPay, as well as for getting your IRS Form 1099R in other ways.

Get your 1099R and pay information 24/7 in myPay

The fastest and most secure way to obtain a copy of your 1099R is through myPay. Retirees and annuitants can log in to myPay, and print a 1099R from the comfort of their home. Instructions are at: https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/manage/taxes/getting1099r/viamypay1099R. If you cannot access your myPay account, here is how you can get access:

How to request a temporary password

a) Go to https://mypay.dfas.mil
b) Click “Forgot or Need a Password?”
c) Enter your Social Security Number and click the “Yes” button on the bottom right.
d) Choose “mail to my address of record with Military Retired” and click “Send me a Password.” Or, if you have a valid email address in myPay, you can have it emailed.

If you don’t receive the temporary password

You should receive your temporary password in 10 business days by mail or two hours by email. If you don’t, you need to update your mailing address.

How to create a permanent password and Login ID

a) Once you receive your temporary password, you should return to myPay. If you have never accessed myPay, click “Create an Account.” If you are reactivating your account, please see “How to Reactivate an Account,” below.
b) Enter your Social Security Number and temporary password and click “Accept/Submit.”
c) Create a permanent Login ID and password.
d) Select eight security questions that you can answer later if you need to reset your password. Click “Submit Questions.”
e) Answer each question and click “Submit Answers.”
f) If you do not have an email address on record, add one.
g) Select “Main” in the upper right corner to use myPay.

How to reactivate an account

a) Once you receive your temporary password, return to myPay.
b) Log into myPay using your Login ID and your new temporary password.
c) Create a new permanent password.
d) Select “Main” in the upper right corner to use myPay.

Additional ways to get your 1099R

1. If you are not on myPay and do not want to go through the process of getting a password, there are still self-service options to get or replace an IRS Form 1099R. If your mailing address on file with DFAS is current, you can get a copy of your 1099R through our telephone self-service option. To use telephone self-service:

Call 800-321-1080
Select option “1” for Self-Serve
Select option “1” if you are a Retiree or option “2” if you are an annuitant
Enter your Social Security Number when prompted
Your 1099R should be in the mail within 7-10 business days to the address we have on record.

2. If the address you have on file with DFAS is out of date and you are not a myPay user, you can get your 1099R sent to an updated address by submitting your request online. You can request your 1099R be sent either to your current address or to a new address using an online form. Plus, you can request prior year 1099Rs. You will receive your 1099R in the mail in seven to ten business days.

Find instructions at: https://corpweb1.dfas.mil/askDFAS/ticketInput.action?subCategoryID=9725.

3. If you prefer traditional mail, you can send us a written request by fax or mail, but please make sure you leave time for processing. It takes up to 30 days to process requests received by fax or mail.

Find instructions at: https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/manage/taxes/getting1099r/viawrittenreq.

4. Members with unique situations can speak directly to one of our customer care representatives. Depending on call volume, you may have to wait on hold while we assist other customers. For more info, check out: https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/about/aboutus/customer-service.
[Source: DFAS Retiree Newsletter | Dec 2017]

©1997 - 2018 by USS RICH Association, Inc. - All Rights Reserved