From Chuck Weber, your Veteran Service Officer...
Obtaining Your Military Records
  To obtain your military records from the National Archives’ National Personnel Record Center:
Request on line at:

 Frequently Requested Records Which Are NOT at the National Personnel Records Center:
1. State Militia Records: The National Archives does not hold state militia records. For these records, you will need to contact the appropriate State Archives

2. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) records: For further information call the VA Toll Free number 1-800-827-1000.

3. Pay records: If available at all, these would be at the various Department of Defense Finance Centers.

4. Records of veterans who have been separated from active service but have reserve status, either active or inactive: Contact the Reserve Component of the appropriate branch of service
5. Older military personnel records, generally prior to WWI depending on the service branch are on file at the National Archives and Records Administration, Old Military and Civil Records Branch (NWCTB), Washington, DC 20408. See Requesting Copies of Older Military Service Records for more information.

6. Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF) of veterans who have been discharged, retired or who have died in service since January 1, 1995 (Navy), January 1, 1999 (Marine Corps) and October 1, 2004 (Air Force): Contact the Personnel Center or Headquarters of the appropriate branch of service. The Army, since October 1, 2002, has also ceased retiring OMPFs of former service members to the NPRC; however, the NPRC has access to those records and will service your requests. See Records Location Table at the end for complete details.

7. Records of members currently in the National Guard: Contact the Adjutant General's office of the appropriate state. The National Guard Bureau website contains additional information
8. Records of former National Guard members who were not called into active federal service: Contact the Adjutant General of the state in which the member served.

9. Recent active duty Health Records: Formerly, when a member was released, discharged or retired from active duty, the military services retired the health record to the NPRC with the personnel record portion (note: the Department of the Navy retired its health and personnel records to the NPRC separately until the late 1980s).

However, in the 1990s, the military services discontinued the practice of filing health records with the personnel record portion. In 1992, the Army began retiring most of its former members' health records to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Over the next six years, the other services followed suit - Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps in 1994 and Coast Guard in 1998 (see Records Location Table for a listing of personnel and health record holdings and locations).

After this change, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), Records Management Center, in St. Louis, MO, became responsible for maintaining former active duty health records and managing their whereabouts when on loan within the VA. Call the VA toll free number at 1-800-827-1000 to identify the current location of specific health records and to find out how to obtain releasable documents or information.
Military Service Department unit histories and military operations:

o U.S. Air Force Historical Research Agency
600 Chenault Circle
Maxwell AFB, AL 36112-6424

Telephone: (334) 953-2395
o U.S. Naval History & Heritage Command
Washington Navy Yard, Bldg 57 (3rd Floor)
Washington, DC 20374

Telephone: (202) 433-3224
o U.S. Marine Corps History Division
3078 Upshur Avenue
Quantico, Virginia 22134

Telephone: (703) 432-4877
o U.S. Coast Guard Historian's Office
Commandant (CG-09224)
U.S. Coast Guard Headquarters
2100 Second Street SW
Washington, D.C. 20593
o National Archives and Records Administration
Modern Military Records - NWCTM
8601 Adelphi Road
College Park, MD 20740-6001

Telephone: 202-357-5000
Customer Service Center Telephone: 1-866-325-7208
See Records Location Table for listings and locations of military personnel and health records.

1997-2014 by USS RICH Association - All Rights Reserved
Created an managed by Marshall K DuBois