Quarterdeck | About | COs | Ships Company | Deceased | Newsletter | Association | Reunion | Vet Services | Life Aboard | Photos | Links
From Chuck Weber, your Veteran Service Officer...
VA Long Term Care
Options for Veterans
Veterans have many options for long term care services and supports – for a short stay or for the rest of their lives. To check them out click on those of the following you may be interested in:
· Community Living Centers (CLCs or VA Nursing Homes) provide nursing home level of care 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
· Community Nursing Homes provide skilled nursing care 24 hours a day, 7 days a week near a Veteran’s home and family. These non-VA nursing homes are an option in many places where a VA Community Living Center may not be available.
· State Veterans Homes provide a mix of nursing home care, domiciliary care or adult day health care. They are in all 50 states and Puerto Rico and are owned and managed by state governments that set the rules about which Veterans or Veteran’s family members are eligible.
VA Residential Settings
· Community Residential Care (CRC) is a VA program for Veterans who do not need hospital or nursing home care, but cannot live alone because of medical or psychiatric conditions. This is a private-pay option.
· Medical Foster Homes (MFH) are private homes and provide an alternative to a long-stay nursing home. This type of care may be an option for Veterans who have medical conditions that require 24/7 care and supervision.
Non-VA Residential Settings
· Adult Family Homes have a trained caregiver on duty 24/7 to help with activities such as bathing and getting dressed. This is a private-pay option.
· Assisted Living Facilities are like Adult Family Homes except that your room is in a larger building that is not a private home. This is also a private-pay option.
Note that some of the services listed under Home and Community Services, such as Hospice Care, and Palliative Care can also be provided in Residential Settings and Nursing Homes. To learn more about options and resources for Veterans visit www.va.gov/Geriatrics.
|Source: VA Geriatrics Monthly Bulletin | Stephanie Colombini | September 23, 2020|
©1997 - by USS RICH Association, Inc. - All Rights Reserved